Reputation – 1 of 7 Enablers in our Human Resources Development Framework
Winning respect as a major contributor to business success is built on the quality of our relationships; raising our profile as an HR function as well as having positive impact with authentic personal leadership
The successful outcomes of Reputation
· HR has a seat at the table – at key meetings at all levels, you ensure that HR influences business strategy as well as operations
· Employee engagement improves because of your influence
· You are seen as a helpful partner in the business – known for your commercial insight as well as your understanding of what gets results
· People listen to you and trust your judgement because they respect you and your contribution
· Your company is seen as a good employer because of your influence on how people are managed
· People say great things about HR in your organisation
Reputation comes at the end and also at the beginning, like the chicken and the egg, or the actors’ equity card. You can’t get anywhere until you earn it, and yet you need it to get your job done. This means that we need to ask ourselves continually how our actions will affect how we’re regarded. For example, when advising line managers or participating in a meeting; ‘how will this be seen?’; ‘what are the implications of this for the reputation of our function?’; ‘how can I explain this in a way that shows that we understand the commercial pressures?’; ‘is there an opportunity here for me to make links with good HR practice in a helpful way?’.
HR have been called ‘shrinking violets’, and this isn’t good for our function. On the other hand, in order to maintain our integrity, we have to be careful with self-promotion. This means that we need a particularly sensitive, and sensible, kind of political awareness and political intelligence.
Making Reputation work for you in your Human Resources role
- To build your Reputation, some questions for you to ask yourself
- Building Reputation strategically – thinking ahead about how to continually build your credibility
- Building Reputation tactically – moving to the front of your mind, day-to-day, how you come across
- Political Intelligence in Human Resources
- HR Advocacy and the Feedback Loop
- How the 7 HR Enablers provide a holistic framework for success in Human Resources
We work at every level to enable Human Resources to add more value.
We work with CEO’s and HRDs to transform the HR function
We develop HR leaders and managers
We run HR Team Workshops
We coach at every level. We have executive coaches who are experienced at
working with HR leaders, and we also value working with HR professionals
who are developing their careers. Our approach is designed to fit into your
day and target your unique development requirements. Because we understand
the challenges faced by HR people, it’s totally relevant, and time-effective.
Explore the other Enablers by clicking on the icons below.